Friday, October 19, 2007

A Conversation with a Doctor

A few days ago I had an annual doctor's appointment (it went well, so no horror or sad stories about to enter into the mix here). As usual, the doctor asked me how the hypnosis business was going and I told her it was just fine. Then she told me something that deeply pleased me, but startled me as well.

First, you have to understand that my practice is amongst the area of the Bible Belt in the US. This means that sometimes telling people you are a hypnotist becomes a challenge, as does marketing. There area is transient enough that there are several open minds around, which is a very good thing. So slowly but surely hypnosis is being more accepted. I already work with a few doctors, but it was after nurturing the relationships (a lot). There are still several doctors in my area who know little about it and do not want to learn more.

So, I was a little taken a back when my gynecologist mentioned that she wished she was younger so that she could go back to school and learn a combination of acupuncture and hypnosis to help women have an easier time during labor. Her medical internship was in the New England area, and one of the doctor's she studied under used the combination. She said it was amazing the difference between birthing experiences the women who used traditional methods verses acupuncture and hypnosis.

No comments: