Friday, December 14, 2007

10 Questions (and a little more) with Laura Lefelar-Barch




Location:
Pompton Lakes, NJ

Cyberspace Locations:
www.lauralefelarbarch.com (under construction) www.hypnosisbylaura.com



1. Are you a full time hypnotist, part-time or hobbyist?

I am a full-time hypnotist and Marriage and Family Therapist located in Pompton Lakes, New Jersey.

2. Do you specialize in any type of hypnosis?

I specialize in treating adult and childhood anxiety disorders. I also specialize in presurgical hypnosis for women who are scheduled for cesarean sections. I developed a unique CD for this, as well as a hugely successful CD for women who have concerns about breastfeeding their child. Another specialty (which dovetails nicely with the anxiety work) is with children with various types of sleep disorders. I enjoy dreamwork, too!

3. Is there any type of hypnosis you do not do? Why?

I’m very careful about hypnotizing someone who wants to recover childhood memories that might include trauma. And although I find hypnosis works GREAT for smoking cessation, I personally haven’t had success working with drug and alcohol addictions.

4. Do you use self-hypnosis regularly in your life? If so, how?

I use self-hypnosis regularly in my life to help me relax at night or go back to sleep if one of my four children wakes me. I also use a product I developed for mindful running so that I can get a moving meditation and my exercise in the same 30 minute time span!

5. Describe your hypnosis office or work setting.

I rent space in a beautiful Victorian home that has been converted to an office building. It's quite lovely. Before that I rented space on a major highway. I also had a space in my home for a short period of time until my four year old opened my office door once!


I have never found an “ideal” place for an office: often there is noise from cars outside on the street, church bells, someone walking around upstairs, or a door slamming nearby.



I just make sure I incorporate the suggestion that “with every sound you hear, deeper and deeper into relaxation.”


6. Describe a typical day in your life.

I wake at 6, take my kids to school by 9, see clients on the hour (both hypnotherapy and psychotherapy) until 3 p.m. when I pick up my kids again. Two nights a week, after I feed everyone dinner, I return to work from 6:45 to 9:30/10

7. Where did you get your training in hypnosis and are you certified?

I am a certified hypnotist trained locally by an NGH-approved trainer.

8. Most fabulous hypnosis technique you use?

I love it when I can make a suggestion that really wows the client… and it’s different for everyone. Lately, when kids giggle during the induction, I incorporate the suggestion that laughter is just the body’s way of relaxing. It’s amazing how well this works!

9. Worse moment ever in a hypnosis setting that ended up being a valuable learning experience.

I think my worst moment ever in hypnosis was trying to hypnotize my father so that he could stop a bad habit. Lesson learned? Think twice before agreeing to hypnotize a skeptical family member!

10. Any words of advice to potential clients or other hypnotist?

For potential hypnosis clients: hypnosis is an amazing tool, but don’t believe in the magic of One-Session-Hypnosis. Sure, sometimes one session is all you need (i.e. smoking cessation), but if you’re new to hypnosis, a few sessions will help you become comfortable with the hypnotist and the trance-like state, and ensure success.

Laura added a few more questions and answers:

Funniest moment in hypnosis:

Once I had a client come for weight loss hypnosis (she believed in the one-session-cure). She talked a mile a minute until I put her into trance, and upon returning to the room, she bounced right up and resumed talking as if she never stopped. Since this isn't typical of the client emerging from trance, I thought for sure that she wasn't hypnotized and wouldn't lose an ounce. She went on to lose 15 pounds and refer me five weight loss clients!

Most unique hypnosis request:

An actor come for hypnosis so that he would perform more convincingly in his act! It worked beautifully!

No comments: