Sunday, August 5, 2007

Embracing the Stereotype - The Sunday Question

My partner likes to say that there is a reason for stereotypes. Normally, I am the type of gal who prefers to defy such societal constraints (in the most adult way possible of course). But today I feel like embracing the stereotype.

Friday's conversation with Paul inspired today's question:

What would the ultimate prop be (look like, function, etc.) for a prop induction, such as watch or pendulum or what have you and why?

Personally, I rather like the little glow in the dark star I have placed on the wall of a dark corner of the office. It does not require any eye-hand-coordination from me and allows me to give my full attention to the client.

Last year at the NGH conference I attended a very cool seminar on gizmos for inductions (Lee, I think you went to that as well and the hypnotist who presents it is a friend of yours?). She had some great toys and I noticed it is on the schedule this year, so if you have not experienced it, you should check it out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura Amoroso, you mean. I've been to her workshop before and it's heaps of fun.

One of the props she used in the workshop I attended was a Dee-light, a magician's prop that creates the illusion of a red glowing light perched on the tip of the magician's thumb that s/he can make appear or disappear at will. Laura showed how easily it could be used as a fixation induction prop for children. Very cool stuff.

-Michael Raugh, C.H.

The Transparent Hypnotist said...

Actually Laura does one, too. but this was another person... I only know this because the one I saw used some of Laura's toys.

Thanks for mentioning her,though. She is a conference vendor, isn't she?

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure there can be an "ultimate" fixed induction prop, as you put it. Basically anything can be used, but if I were personally choosing a favorite it's a toss-up between the prototypical pocketwatch, nice and and shiny highly polished brass or even gold - for some reason, silver doesn't seem to work as well, never really figured that one out - talk about stereotypes, sheesh - or an incredibly sparkling crystal on a thin black lanyard or just a piece of black string as not to detract from the crystal itself.

It truly is amazing just how powerful the symbolism of hypnosis is represented by a pocketwatch. Walk up to 100 random people on any street anywhere in the world and propose the following:

"Ok, I'll mention a word and you mention an object you instantly associate with the word, sort of like if I say 'mechanic' you might picture a wrench. Got it? Ok, the word is hypnosis..."

I doubt more than 3 or 4 people would mention anything other than a pocketwatch. :) Fun stuff indeed.
I'll have to look into that Dee-Lite device, however. Could prove useful at some point, and doing instant magic coupled with an "instant" fixed induction... w00t! :)

Have fun, always...
Paul