Thursday, July 5, 2007

Party Tricks

Perhaps this has happened to you? You are at a party and someone finds out that you are a hypnotist. The questions begin (can you hypnotize me? will I bark like a dog? does it really work?) and answer obligingly because you love hypnosis and want to share your knowledge about it. Then sure enough, it begins - It being - hypnotize me. Do it. Then someone else chimes in that they want to be hypnotized.

Do you:

  1. Laugh it off
  2. Tell them to make an appointment
  3. Seem highly offend - after all, you would never ask a brain surgeon to perform a little surgery at the same party
  4. Do a rapid induction and turn it into a quick party trick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely #4. It's fun, after all, and leaves people with a positive impression.

Each semester I visit the Psychology classes at my kids' high school and give them a presentation on hypnosis. The highlight of that talk, for them, tends to be when I use a reinduction trigger to drop the teacher into a deep trance state instantly. From that point on I generally have the students' undivided attention.

I also get a lot of "Oooh, hypnotize me!" requests from the kids, but of course I can't -- public school and all that -- so in that case I do tell them that if their parent makes an appointment for them I'd be happy to do it then.

- Michael Raugh, C.H.

The Transparent Hypnotist said...

Some how I knew this was what your answer would be, Michael!

Hope you had a great 4th!