Thursday, February 28, 2008

On the Scent of Memory

Morning came again and I got naked. LOL. Actually, I just stepped out of the shower (needed to clear the lungs and there is nothing like the steam from a hot shower to do just that). And as I stood there, eyes closed, water beating down, and hands creating the beginning of a lather on the scalp, I took the first deep breath of the morning. Nan. Maybe that sounds odd, but the smell of lavender from the shampoo immediately brought forth the memory of my grandmother.

And suddenly, I was no longer a tired adult, but a little girl. As I revivified the moment, memories of cool nights on lavender scented sheets seemed real. Transporting time, I sat upon her bed, while she brushed my hair. When she finished I would sniff it (yes, I had long hair as a child) and breath in a subtle lavender scent, as she had scented the hairbrush with lavender water.

Of course, as the hot water ran out, I returned to the current moments and finished up. Now here I sit, rather contented and peaceful with that memory.

In hypnosis and NLP, revivified moments are often a part of what we do. How much stronger the past seems in our mind when in a hypnotic state. But, I have never given much credence to the idea of using scents to perhaps deepen a hypnotic state. I suppose ultimately this would be an adjunct with aromatherapy. Do any of you use it and if so, do the two go together well?



Any how - if you are curious about my hair experience, here's the run down:

Naked Naturals is an all natural shampoo. The one I used was Awapuhi (I have no idea what that is) and Lavender for color-treated hair. The shampoo does not lather up much beyond the scalp area, but so it seems the way of such products. The smell is subtle. The conditioner is nice and does leave hair feeling fairly soft. It boast a list of positive components such as there are no Lauryl or Laureth Sulfates, no DEA or TEA, no artificial colors, no synthetic fragrances, and no harsh chemicals. All good things in my book. As I am a want-to-be vegetarian, I am particularly glad there are no animal by-products. It is all about being naked naturals.



No comments: