Friday, February 15, 2008

10 Questions with Adam Eason



Location: Bournemouth, Dorset

Cyber Location:
www.adam-eason.com
www.adam-eason.com/blog


1. Are you a full time hypnotist, part-time or hobbyist?

Full time… As much as I can allow it to be. Hypnosis and its therapeutic applications is my main love – there are only so many people I can see in a day. So I speak on the subject in various forms across the world, run seminars and courses so my time is spent with other things too.

2. Do you specialize in any type of hypnosis?

I teach and heavily advocate the use of self-hypnosis… Are there any other ‘types’ of hypnosis? ;-)

I work very indirectly and subtly with hypnosis and incorporate a range of other interventions I find useful from the fields of NLP, CBT, classical psychiatry and other related fields… My belief is that hypnosis is inherent within all these things.

3. Is there any type of hypnosis you do not do? Why?

I do not do past life regression. I have a firm belief in congruence leading to the effectiveness and success of the therapist. For that reason, I tend to believe that if you do not wholly believe that what you are doing is going to be useful, successful and yield tangible results, then it should not be done. I am uncertain as to where my beliefs and understandings of past life regression lie and therefore refer enquiries to other therapists in this field.

Although my personal life is punctuated with certain elements of spirituality and is flavored with ‘new-agism’ here and there, my professional practice is free from these things – I like it that way and it has lent itself to my career advancement I believe.

4. Do you use self-hypnosis regularly in your life? If so, how?

Of course we all spend much of our lives in some form of trance… I have taken myself into hypnosis formally approximately 5 times a day for the past 14 years. I go into hypnosis when I work with clients – it is the best way to ensure they go there too! Erickson spent most of his therapeutic time in trance and any good hypnotherapist ought to be doing the same. When you want someone in a particular state – best to be there yourself. Any practitioner, or anyone claiming to be a professional practitioner or even advocate of hypnosis, needs to be regularly experiencing the state – yet so few do. If you do not regularly enter hypnosis yourself, why would you presume to understand and empathize that you are successfully inducing the same in others?

Am I allowed a gratuitous plug here?.... My book ‘The Secrets of Self-Hypnosis’ (the best selling book on self-hypnosis in the past 10 years) explains the system I use and how to apply it to varying aspects of your life.

5. Describe your hypnosis office or work setting.

I have my consulting rooms on the very south coast of England that overlook the beach and the sea. With the windows open, you can hear the sea and boy, do I utilize that sound in my sessions!

It is large and airy, we have leather sofas, tall bookcases, reclining chairs, a sound system in the ceiling and all manner of hypnotic goodies to enhance people’s experience of being here.

6. Describe a typical day in your life.

Hmm… Having kissed my beloved Katie and made her tea, I run along the sea front – often as part of my training for one the marathons I run each year. Having showered and had breakfast, I blog, answer emails, write articles for my weekly ezine and chat with my business colleagues. I then see 4-6 clients in my consulting rooms for the day. I email them all on notes and further reading relating to the work we are doing together and I head home. I often cook for Katie, we do all manner things with our evenings – we are currently being taught how to dance properly for our wedding in May… Fridays, I finish early, especially if I am working overseas or running a diploma that weekend.

7. Where did you get your training in hypnosis and are you certified?

I think I have enough letters after my name to complete several large sentences and that does not make for interesting reading. Having originally been a psychiatrist, I abandoned conventional medicine due to its seeming ineffectiveness with my own problematic skin condition that was finally overcome with hypnosis.

I went on to train with several large, prominent schools in the UK, US and Europe – I have trained with Paul Mckenna, Richard Bandler, John LaValle, Robert Dilts and many others. I have several diplomas and have written two research theses in hypnosis related topics. I was a Director of and complaints officer for the Hypnotherapy Association for a number of years until time meant that I could not commit further to the roles. You can read a long, lengthy and fully comprehensive list of my qualifications at my website, it is certainly the least interesting page there though!

8. Most fabulous hypnosis technique you use?

I love the presupposition that if this is the most fabulous technique, that there must be others with a degree of ‘fabulousness’ too!

‘One’ of the most fabulous techniques that I use often is hypnotizing couples to be each other… In much the same way that David Calof wrote about in his wonderful book of the same name… When you hypnotize a couple that are struggling with their relationship – they become each other for that session and have to interact with the other as if they are the other one… Some intriguing and incredibly beneficial insights are gleaned and much change occurs without having to do much else…

9. Worse moment ever in a hypnosis setting that ended up being a valuable learning experience.

As a younger, inexperienced man, I allowed a client to intimidate me with his high life standing and intellect. The therapy was largely ineffective until I told him by mistake that he was ‘pissing me off’ … Ooops, desperately unprofessional! However, it really interrupted his pattern, jolted some mutual respect, allowed me to do what was more effective and lead the therapy sessions in a way that helped us both.

10. Any words of advice to potential clients or other hypnotist.

Find a hypnotist you like and feel comfortable being yourself with. Hypnosis is intimate and requires a sense of trust and belief in what you are doing… As a hypnotist be yourself… Truly on every level… So many hypnotherapists are simply bland versions of people attempting to be something to everyone. Be different, enjoy your idiosyncrasies, be who you really are and those that like you will plant their flag in the ground beside you.. Those that don’t can find someone more suitable to them… When you attempt to be everything to everyone, you end up being a bland, rather lame version of all the other people who are forming part of the herd and unfortunately I encounter hundreds of therapists each year with great training and knowledge, yet incapable of attracting clients, using their hypnosis skills in life and not managing to make a good living… Congruency and authenticity rules ok! ;-)


If you are interested in reading more about me you can visit www.adam-eason.com and you can download for free a rather fantastic hypnosis session which has sounds coming in both ears at the same time, evocative language and especially recorded music for maximum hypnotic effect. If you want to read my usual rantings which often require me to wipe the foam from my mouth afterwards, then my blog is www.adam-eason.com/blog .... Lots of my podcasts are at my site along with all manner of other hypnotic stuff… I’ll stop plugging now… Best wishes to all your regular readers, I do love the transparent hypnotist blog…

No comments: