Friday, February 8, 2008

10 Questions with Marcia Proctor



Location: Germantown, Maryland


Cyber Location: members.aol.com/marciadp





1. Are you a full time hypnotist, part-time or hobbyist?


Part time until my daughter is out of college, and I plan to go full time then.

2. Do you specialize in any type of hypnosis?

Smoking cessation, stress management, pediatric hypnosis, phobias, etc.
3. Is there any type of hypnosis you do not do? Why?

No.

4. Do you use self-hypnosis regularly in your life? If so, how?

Yes, as pain management, stress management.

5. Describe your hypnosis office or work setting. I have two offices.

One is at a wellness center. The other is in my home - I converted my living room into an office. Two recliners, a sofa and two chairs.

6. Describe a typical day in your life.

First my day job as a tech writer, then home or the wellness center to get ready for clients.
7. Where did you get your training in hypnosis and are you certified?

The Hypnotherapy Institute in New Jersey. I am certified as a master hypnotherapist.

8. Most fabulous hypnosis technique you use?

Ericksonian techniques and parts regression therapy.

9. Worse moment ever in a hypnosis setting that ended up being a valuable learning experience.

I was working with a 14 year old with Khron's Disease, who was having problems with having bloodwork drawn. Her mother told me it was the needles. Taught the girl self hypnosis and the magic spot technique. She was able to achieve trance easily, did a pinch test, and she never felt it. The following week, she was back, and the mother and grandmother were there, saying she became combative, and still fought having the blood drawn. I finally asked the mother to let me talk with the girl (very much in a child state). The girl said, yes, she was able to do what I taught her. I asked her why she was having a problem at the doctor's office. She said it was the rubber band that hurt - the tourniquet. She really wasn't worried about the needle. I got her back in hypnosis and talked about the tourniquet. I asked her to imagine that when the tourniquet was used, it was like a big teddy bear hug squeezing her tight, helping her to get better soon. I learned that with children, the parents really don't always know. Never take the parent's word for it. No matter the age of the child, get the child's input.

10. Any words of advice to potential clients or other hypnotist.

The mind is so powerful, so fascinating, and to use it for a larger potential is exciting.

No comments: