Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Thrill of Success

Do you ever have clients who do not keep you posted on their progress of change? I'd say many of us do. I know several hypnotist who consider clients they do not hear from as being successful. I'm not sure why this is? It seems like possible denial.

I try to keep an open door for past clients, always asking them to keep in touch, let me know how it is going, good days and bad days, etc. Now granted some do take advantage of this, and I think it is great. But then there are those I wonder about who do not respond to emails or phone calls following up.

Yesterday though, I had a new client who said she was recommended by a friend of a friend. She finally told me who (didn't know the full name, only a few sketchy details, but enough for me to know who). It was a client from a year ago who suffers from all sort of maladies related to the lungs, which cause immense depression. Medication she is on makes her very sensitive to light, so she, once a very outdoorsy person, now has to live life in the dim confines of her house, which she describes as a prison. Pretty glum. My heart broke for her at the time, but I thought it was great that she was taking a step forward to do something. For anonymity, I'll just say she had an addiction problem, and she wanted to kick it. Apparently she did after our session, which was the intent and expectation. It's just really good to get positive feedback.

So, clients, please realize that most of us hypnotists are interested in what is happening with you, good or bad. You bring us in on some pretty personal information, and we become invested in your outcomes. Please let us know how it is going.

And hypnotists, sharing your successes and pitfalls can always be a great help to others. If you care to share, please do so. Clients, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A disproportionate number of my clients are high school students. I don't mind that because I love working with teens. They're usually very interested in hypnosis and lack the fears and hang-ups that adults often exhibit at first. And, when they have success, they're usually very eager to share the story.

A recent client came to me after I'd done a presentation at her high school. This otherwise self-assured 18-year-old young lady had a near-incapacitating fear of balloons. The sight of one would cause her to clench her fists and freeze up.

We had one session together, with her mom at her side, and were able to find and release the cause of the fear. A few days later I got a very satisfying email from the mom letting me know that her daughter was extremely happy and actually looking forward to things like prom and graduation, where balloon decorations are common.

It's always encouraging to hear things like that.

-Michael Raugh, C.Ht.