Wednesday, September 26, 2007

How to use digital photography in a hypnosis session

We have discussed inductions and deepeners and I suspect we will continue to discuss these as we go along. And as you may know, I have taken to posting concepts from my recent trip that relate to hypnosis, meditation and consciousness. Just getting out of the office provided me with a sense of being able to think even more outside the box.

And most of you know I am somewhat of a sucker for tech toys, and the digital camera has not escaped my notice. I have two. One is a Canon DC210 DVD Camcorder, which I use exclusively in the office. It serves as a record of the session experience (I tend not to give these to clients unless they really want it), a way to see what I am doing and to make self-improvements, and also for security (I hate to think in those terms, but it is good to be safe). The important thing about recording sessions from a security standpoint is to make sure your date and time are accurate and are imprinted on the footage (so it accounts for time).

My other is a Samsung S630 Digital Camera. This is my fun, throw-it-in-my-bag-and-just- go camera, which of course went with me on my travels. I find myself often taking close up pictures of, well, just about everything. And though it may sound cheesy, I have a whole memory card full of close up of flowers. Keep reading, this does pertain to hypnosis.

What I have tried out on a couple of clients this week was using those flower pictures in my inductions and have been pretty happy with the results.

Using digital picture frames, one specifically, I pop in an edited memory card (of the similar flower pictures), and I turn it on. It is above eye level to where the clients sit. This is the eye fixation idea. The frame slowly shows each picture in a revolving cycle (set on the slowest speed possible). I have the flower pictures go from light colors to darker colors in a progression. And while the client is watching this, I give suggestions for deepening the sense of relaxation and to go deeper and deeper down with each image change until the eyes are too heavy and tired to keep open.

This adds a bit of creativity to the session and can constantly change.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your flower induction. Now you have me thinking about getting one of those digital picture frames and hanging it on the wall to display an ever-changing set of images.

Do your clients get self-conscious when they see that you're recording the session?

-Michael Raugh, C.H.

The Transparent Hypnotist said...

Howdy Michael!

Glad you like the flower induction.

As for clients feeling self-conscious, I have the camera rolling from the second the client walks in the door. At some point (soon after they arrive) I tell them I am tapping the session, giving them the opportunity to object. So far none have and after acknowledging it, it seems to become part of the background. I also try to blend it in as much as I can. It is not hidden, but it has been placed with some statuary around it and a vase of flowers, so it is not some much of a focal point or presence.