Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A Comparison

Perfection. What a wonderfully, cruel beast it is. It creates standards and expectations. It can leave some feeling accomplished and others dissatisfied. Sometimes I feel it helps when a client is a perfectionist, but in other ways it can also create a huge let down.

What brings this to mind is my poor nephew (the one trying to buy my a decent digital recorder) and his various issues lately. He is doing well in his studies, but when he does not get an A, he is devastated beyond words. It breaks my heart. Some of you may be thinking, "Oh poor him, I'd like to have that problem?" I see your point, but it does not make it any easier for him.

He emailed me earlier and mentioned being confounded by my digital recorder needs (now I feel awful, I had thought it an easy solution). He has to get the perfect one, and I cannot convince him there is no perfect one. It just needs to be able to record for about two to three hours and have a USB (or firewire) port so it can be downloaded. But he informs me this is not so simple. He looked at the last comparison shopping site I mentioned and decided he wanted more choices. So now he is looking at Quick Shop. Though the site at the moment is what the company calls a "sneak peek" into the site, as they have yet to announce it, my nephew feels it is fairly comprehensive.

He has asked me to look at this comparison site and let him know if anything sparks my fancy. Good grief. Now I have to make the decision. The good thing about the site is that it list several options and where they can be found for various prices. At least I can be conscious of his budget (he is a student, keep in mind). But I may wait a bit, I may be getting an iPod Touch soon (more about that later) and perhaps I could just get a mic for that.

If any of you are game, if you would not mind going to the site and letting me know of any of your experiences with the digital recorders, I would be very appreciative.

No comments: