Thursday, March 6, 2008

What Not To Say When Someone Wants Smoking Cessation

One of the hardest things to do when maintaining a transparent blog is to admit mistakes. Sometimes it would be much easier to not mention them and let them go unannounced (with the false ego-based assumption that I remotely appear infallible -lol). However, mistakes are a necessary part of life and are not really that negative in some realms. Rather they are opportunities for learning. Learn I did and maybe my experience will stop this from happening to someone else, maybe even you.

I totally missed the boat with a potential smoking cessation client this week. Often I get calls from people who seek my services for smoking cessation. Many do not make appointments directly, instead they tell me they are going on holiday the following week, giving a dissertation, or going to court and they chose to make the appointment following whatever event. So this time, I was asked if it would be better if they waited until after after the stressful event next week. Rather than creating a positive suggestion and saying "no, you will be tobacco free by next week," I said "Let's do it the week after." (And I am booked this week, which I neglected to say as well). So, they promptly told me they would call me back later the schedule the appointment - which they have not.

I am not beating myself up over this, but in hind sight, I think they were looking for reassurance and I did not give them anything to boost their confidence and I may have made them lose some belief about hypnosis that may have been important to their success. Lesson learned.

2 comments:

Mirehn said...

I don't think you should beat yourself up about this. What you said was reasonable, and even if they didn't decide to make the appointment because of the line; it just as easily could have clinched the deal, as it shows you know what you are doing, and are working to solve the situation even now.

Perhaps in retrospect you can work out what you should have said, but beforehand I doubt you could have worked it out.

The Transparent Hypnotist said...

Thanks Mirehn. Your comments are very kind and I appreciate it. But you are right, it is all retrospect, isn't it?